The One Name Study
The one name study aims:
Genealogy and Origins Aims
- to identify as many Goathams, Gothams and those with variant spellings who have who have lived as possible;
- to assemble trees to show how these people are related;
- to have as few unlinked strays as possible!
- to see what this suggests about the origins of the name.
I hope to find out if / how the various groupings relate to each other, but to describe it as an aim may be an overstatement, since I suspect the information may not survive to permit this. DNA tests may offer a possibility, but even then there are limitations (see my page regarding a DNA study for more detailed considerations).
Family History Aims
- to collect data relating to these people not just BMD / CMB events, but also census data, wills, educational and military and occupational records etc., newspaper reports, criminal and equity court records;
- to use these records to ‘bring history to life’ – to look at different topics as illustrated by the lives of Go(a)thams;
- to look at patterns – for example, the inheritance of occupations (or not), the similarity of families married into (or not).
- firstly, to enable me to share the fruits of my research to all those who may be interested;
- secondly, to encourage and help others to contribute to this study;
- thirdly, to help those with Go(a)tham ancestors find others interested in the same branch (with whom, of course, they will share non-Go(a)tham ancestors and may wish to share information).